Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Why are some people so heartless?

I let my basset baby out this morning to 'take care of his business', and I saw a scrawny, dirty face peek at me from around my back corner. Caleb, who loves everybody and everything, barked and called the little dog around to us. She came around the house, looking as if she was expecting to be beaten, and sat at my feet.
I couldn't help it- I had to give her a good rub and 'make big' over her. She didn't look like she'd eaten in about two weeks, and her white coat is so thin that her skin is sunburned. You can see her ribs and her spine, and her behind looks raw.
I fed her and put out some cool water, and right now she's lying at the foot of my back steps, waiting for me to come back outside and pet her some more. Her belly is full, and there is plenty more food where that came from; for now she's content just to rest and (hopefully) put some meat on her bones. Every time I go out the backdoor, she 'grins' and whines at me, and she'll walk right beside me as I go around the yard.
I hope that she's just gotten lost and hasn't had the opportunity to eat, because otherwise, it means someone has intentionally starved and mistreated her. Our two cats have walked right up and sniffed her, and she hasn't so much as lifted an eyebrow at them. She just lays there and lets them sniff.
I've listed her in Craigslist, and at the local vet's office, in case her owners are looking for her - we had some folks come through after Gustav hit the coast. If not, I guess we've got a new dog... I've always said there's a sign in our yard that only dogs and cats can see - it says "free food -see lady at the door".
I think we'll call her 'Lucky'.

No comments: