Thursday, September 11, 2008

We will never forget

Today is a day of remembrance for me. Seven years ago, my older son was a senior in high school, and as the events of the day unfolded, we knew things were changing.
When he got home from school that afternoon, he said "Mom, today has made me realize what I've got to do." By Christmas, he had enlisted in the Army, and within a few weeks of graduation, he shipped off for basic training.
I know military service isn't for everyone - it takes a special person to make the sacrifices a military life requires. I'm proud that my son is willing to make that sacrifice.
I am not saying I want us at war, and I certainly want my son and his buddies to come home. I'd much rather know I can drive to where my son is, and give him a hug when I want to.
But I want them all brought home in a way that doesn't put them in more danger than they're in now.
Let's finish the job we started, and then get our guys and gals out of there...

No comments: