Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Having a purpose

I hate seeing waste. I don't care where I see it, I hate it. I hate that we're a throwaway society for the most part. I belong to a group called Free-cycle (a yahoo group- check it out in your area) just because I hate to see things get thrown away that can be used again.
For example, right now I'm working on a swap to a lady who needed some wine bottles for a craft she's working on. I don't drink wine, but I know someone who drinks an Acai berry juice mixture, which comes in bottles that look very similar to wine bottles. So I'm collecting them and going to make sure she gets them.
Anytime I see something lying on the side of the road, my first thought is 'can't that be used for something?'. It's not just the thought of landfills overflowing with usable stuff, but that's part of it; the big part is that people are not being good stewards of what God has given us.
That goes for everything - my husband doesn't like to eat leftovers, but they make a very nice lunch for me. I love to drink Gatorade, so I get the ones with the squeeze lid. When they're empty, I wash them out and freeze them for my bike rides.
I save plastic butter tubs for storing leftovers and freezing soups. I save 2-liter bottles, fill them with water and freeze them to use in our coolers when we camp. I save misprinted paper and reuse the blank areas for note paper- who cares if it's already got something on it- after I've used it up, I can shred it and use it for packing paper.
I feel the same way about people- just because a person isn't perfect (and who is?), I believe they can have a purpose. Older people have knowledge and experience that we 'younger' folks don't... and I don't think children are a punishment, either. I believe the Bible is absolutely true, and I have never seen a place where God sent children as a punishment - quite the opposite. He stopped women from having children because of the choices they were making.
I know that sometimes being a parent is tough - but the rewards are so much greater than any effort we have to put out there.

No comments: