Saturday, September 20, 2008

I'll never be the same...


motivator6737454
Originally uploaded by chevytruck542000
On Wednesday, Aug. 1 2007, I attended my first mission as a PGR member. We honored a fallen PGR member who was also retired Air Force. He was killed riding from one military funeral to another one.

Before we got to the cemetery, I kept thinking 'I can't do this' - since my son and son in law are both serving in the Army, I didn't know how to handle my feelings. But as I stood on that flag line, sweat running down my back, the sun in my face, gripping the flag pole, trying hard not to cry, suddenly I felt the flag on my left- it brushed my shoulder, and gently caressed my face. The vet who was holding that flag smiled at me and pulled the flag back towards it's pole. Then they gave the command for us to come to attention - they fired the guns, presented the flags, and the lone rider gunned his engine and rode away, his flag flying.

I could write ten pages, and it would never be enough to tell how that felt - to know I was there honoring someone I didn't know. The family walking by, saying 'thank you for being here' - and all I could say was 'it's an honor to be here'...

I'll never be the same.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I sit in tears reading this. You know that Dennis served in the Gulf War as well as many friends. But you know , whether we know them or not we are all family and friends. My heart breaks for those that are there and those left behind. I am THANKFUL for those standing guard on enemy line and on the home front for us. May God lay His very hand on them and bless them like never before. Let us thank them verbally , as well as in actions. They need this .They deserve this !!
Lisa G
HHC