Monday, September 29, 2008

What I learned

I'll hit the half-century mark in just a few days - boy, that sounds old! I don't feel that old, but apparently I am, because my kids say so... they think some of my views on life are wacky and outdated, but I know why I feel that way.
Some of my favorite memories of childhood involve what's now called classic TV. I grew up when 'Leave it To Beaver', 'I Love Lucy', 'Bonanza', 'Dick Van Dyke' and 'Andy Griffith' were seen on television. I look at the world today through eyes that grew up on those shows, and I learned the truths of life watching them.
Uncle Jed was always as meek as a lamb, but wise as a serpent. He saw the best in folks, always tried to help out the less fortunate, but he didn't let folks take advantage of him, and he stood up for what was right. He didn't let all that money change him from the good man he was.
Laura Petrey always met Rob at the door, glad to see him, and she was sexy in her capri pants.
Lucy's hairbrained schemes rarely worked, but she always had good sense of humor when she messed up.
Ward wanted his boys to behave their best, and sometimes went too far in his expectations, but he also was man enough to admit when he'd messed up, and would ask their forgiveness when he did.
Pa Cartwirght expected his sons to work hard and play fair. He used the power his money and land brought him to help those around him, and make the whole community a better place.

My kids and I watched a movie called "Pleasantville" when it first came on television, and their response to the black and white section was 'that is so boring'... as a parent in today's society, I think sometimes boring might be a good thing. School shootings, teen pregnancy, drugs, and a general sense from most folks that there's no such thing as the sanctity of human life - those things might be exciting, but I don't think that makes them very good.

No comments: