Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Right to Life

I wrote a post a few weeks ago about Obama's statement on when he believes children should be eligible for human rights. I still stand behind what I said, but I do have some thoughts that are related.
I read a devotional this morning from a young woman who had an abortion years ago, and suffered in silence for many years. She thought God couldn't forgive her, and she also thought that she was the only Christian who had ever had an abortion, so she felt others wouldn't accept her if they knew.
How sad that must have been- I cannot imagine going through something like that on my own. Part of her hurt and loneliness is due to people who are pro-life and don't carefully choose their words. When we speak out on our beliefs, we need to make sure that we're doing it in love. We are standing up for helpless children who can't stand up for themselves; when we do this, we need to make sure we're not stepping on those women who have decided to have an abortion because they don't think they have any other option.
I believe that a child is human at conception; I believe that all people have the right to live their lives, whether it' a child who may have health, physical or mental problems, or an older person who has gone past the point when they are totally self-sufficient, and need help taking care of their needs. I believe all people are valuable, no matter what their circumstances.
I'm willing to stand up and tell anyone what I believe; but I need to be very careful that while I'm trying to save one life, I'm not destroying another. I also need to make sure that when I ask a young woman to choose life for her unborn child, I am willing to step up and help her in whatever way she needs it, so she can choose life.
No matter whether we're pro-life or pro-abortion, we need to make sure we're ready to stand with these women when they make their decision, and be ready to support them afterwards.
I'm going to make sure I do this - are you willing to make the same choice?

No comments: