Thursday, August 28, 2008

My Main Ride...

Our part of Alabama has been under some pretty dry conditions for most of this year, and we were behind on rain last year too, so I'm always thankful for rain. Hurricane Faye really poured it on us late last week, and the ground is still damp; meanwhile, we're expecting Gustav to visit us early next week.
All this to say that between the weather and tasks around here (plus some minor health problems), I haven't been able to ride my bike as much as I'd like for about a week now. That's not to say that I don't ride in the rain - I love the smell of wet asphalt rolling under my wheels. I just had no desire to scrape myself and my bike across the road during some of the rain we had last week. My husband drove home behind a guy on a bike one afternoon, and even though he was riding on a straightaway, his bike was leaning like he was in a long curve.
I hope that changes in the next few days and weeks - Colors for the Cross is this weekend, and we plan on going over early Saturday morning and spending the day.
Then September 13 is our group's fall benefit ride. We'll tour Crenshaw County on a poker run, with registration at the park. For more information on that ride, see our site. The ride will benefit a 'families in crisis' fund that will help families in and around Crenshaw County who need assistance.
Then in November we'll head out for a weekend trip to somewhere in Alabama. Right now we're talking about Ave Maria Grotto, but nothing is set in stone yet. That's one thing about riding- most of the time, it's about the ride itself, instead of the destination. To see some pictures from last year's ride, see this page.
Of course, I won't wait til those organized rides to get some miles in- sometimes I just have to ride around town to get my mind back in gear.
Meanwhile, I need to go out and crank my bike- she's been pouting the last few days, and she needs to know that I haven't forgotten her. For those of you who don't ride, a bike is different than any other vehicle - most bikes have a name, and most are considered either male or female.
My SUV is just a truck, as far as I'm concerned, but my bike? well, she's my bike- she is mine, and I am hers. Vroom! Vroom!!!!

No comments: