Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Gum can be hazardous...

This is one of the toughest posts I've had to write- but I have to. As much as I've been frustrated and even angry because of someone else's driving distracted, I have to tell this so hopefully others won't get into the same situation.
***************************************************

At one stop on our way home, I must have stepped in some gum. It stuck right at the ball of my left foot and I didn't notice it until we were on our way. By then, it was warm enough to stick my boot to my floorboard, which was very aggravating while trying to change gears. I could move my foot, but it was more of an effort than usual.
Since we were still in the foothills, we were going up and down hills, and around curves. I know I should have stopped as soon as I realized how much trouble it was giving me, but I decided to just wait until we stopped either for gas or a rest break, but I didn't. That was my first mistake.
As we rode along, we gradually fell in line behind several vehicles. Since the road was only a two-lane local road, we didn't get a chance to pass them, so we were going along about 50 mph or so. That ended up being a blessing. As we were riding along, meeting bikes and waving, (and me still worrying with the gum on my boot) the first vehicle in line needed to turn left, so they had to stop for oncoming traffic.
Since I was distracted by the gum (and the bikers we were meeting) I didnt' start braking quite quickly enough. When I did, I got on the brakes too hard - my back tire was squealing and it started sliding around to the right. The road conditions didn't help- it was a local road that had lots of tar poured on top of breaks and cracks, which made it more slippery.
I let off a bit, which stopped the sideways slide, but I was still too close to the car ahead of me, so I had to get right back on the brakes; I did finally get it stopped without going into the other lane, which still had traffic in it. If I'd laid the bike down, it would have gone under the SUV in front of us, or into the oncoming traffic, which was still mostly bikers. I'd hate to think I caused other bikers to go down because of my being distracted.
I've talked it over with Randy- we were pretty much riding axle to axle so I wasn't going too fast; I just didn't start braking the second I should have- only a second or two, but that's all it took...
I'm still not sure if I ended up using the front brake as well; if I did, it was God helping me do it, because I didn't jerk it. I do know at one point I was thinking 'did I let off the gas' but I knew I wasn't because the engine wasn't racing- guess you have crazy thoughts go through your head at times like that.
We couldn't pull over immediately because of the road and traffic conditions, which was even harder for me- I wanted to stop and lay down and cry right there. But believe me, I stopped at the very next spot I could find and got the goop off my boot and the floorboard. I also was super-careful not to follow too close until I could take care of it.
I will not make that mistake again- I'll check my boots just like I check my tires, and if I notice something that feels 'off' I'll stop as soon as I can, to correct it.
I know the good Lord was right there with me, because I didn't panic, I got the bike stopped without laying it down, I didn't immediately faint from fear, and I didn't throw up all over my bike when it was over. (and oh, did I want to).
I'm just thankful I had some help to get the bike stopped, and I didn't hurt anyone else. I'm also thankful the folks behind us slowed up and gave me plenty of room - they could see I needed some space and they gave it to me.
I've learned several lessons on this trip, but this was by far the most important.

No comments: