Monday, December 29, 2008

Miscellaneous stuff

On Christmas Day we had supper at my folks' house, with the rest of the family- it's always so much fun to spend time with kids, especially on holidays. They've got so much to say, and I just love listening to them say it.
For example Reid, who just turned two, is crazy about anything John Deere - his dad is a farmer and drives a John Deere tractor, so he has every reason to think they're great. When I asked him what he got for Christmas, he said, 'a trike-cycle'. When I asked him if it was red, he just looked at me and said, "no, it was gween". What better color for a trike-cycle?

Do you remember the Cosby show episode where Rudy asked Cliff what a bunch of letters spelled? he told her 'zrbrt' and then proceeded to give her a razzberry on her cheek. Ever since, I've given my grandkids and other beloved children 'zrbrts' on their cheek or neck; they've learned that if they hold their chin up, it gives me more room under there, and then watch out! the noise is great, and the look on their face is even better. Thank you, Bill Cosby, for helping me make good memories with these wonderful kids.

Why is it that we feel so much younger than we thought our parents were at the same age?

Of all the things I regret, one of the things I wish I could change would be to go back in time, and find out more about my grandparents' lives. I remember vividly so many things about my mother's mother, like watching her stand by the sink washing dishes, singing 'hey, good lookin' by Hank Williams. Or that she always loved to drink Dr. Pepper - I wish I could find a bottle that looks like the ones from my childhood.

No comments: