Thursday, December 25, 2008

Don't let someone steal your Christmas

We were at my MIL's house last night for our Christmas eve celebration. My hubby's three sisters were there, along with most of the rest of the family.
I'm sure Christmas at most folks' houses was like it was at ours- not as much extra money to spend on gifts, and not doing as much traveling. I'll admit, I'd allowed that to make me feel like Christmas wasn't coming this year.
But after we got there, and I started talking to the kids, I felt much better. Tanner, 2nd grade, whose letter to Santa made the paper, had to decipher one part of his letter (they print them just as the kids spell them- so cute), and we discussed his wishes for an all Alabama Christmas (I'm a big Auburn fan).
Then granddaughters Chloe, Destiny and Neveah all had to tell me what Santa brought them (he comes to their house a night early, because of blended family issues). Granddaughter Lanie also told me her latest news - she has a wonderful imagination and she always perks me up.
Grandson Hunter, who is a teenager now, is one of the sweetest, most polite young men you'll ever meet. Even when I asked about the website I'd heard was devoted to his girlfriends, he went along with the joke, teasing me right back. He's so good with his little sister, and a natural when it comes to taking care of his new baby brother.
And speaking of babies - who can turn down a chance to cuddle with a baby? They always have a smile or a giggle for you. We were lucky enough to spend last night with two babies, both as cute as can be.
Don't let the economy or your surroundings steal your Christmas - remember that there are people out there who love you and don't care if you've got a bunch of money. They love you because of who you are to them.
And remember that the real reason for our celebration is a special baby who was born a long time ago, and who gave us all the best Christmas gift ever- because He made it possible for us to get past our own sinful natures and become a part of God's kingdom.
Merry Christmas!

No comments: