Monday, December 15, 2008

Marketing Your Business Revisited

How does your customer service stand up to comparison?
I've had plenty of experiences with both very good and very bad customer service - in fact, one of my favorite memories of sales seminars is the story one instructor told about bad customer service. He had a very bad experience with a company, and when he tried to work things out with them, he seemed to run into every person in the company with a bad attitude. It got to the point that he asked to speak to a department manager in the company. When he finally was able to speak to him, he told him in great detail how horrible the company's customer service had been, and when the manager asked him what he expected him to do about it.
The instructor then began to name what it would take to make him feel he'd been taken care of, and the manager said that was more than what he was willing to do. The instructor told him it would be the his job in life to ruin the reputation of that company. He's done a good job, too- I think he tells that story at every seminar where he teaches. Any time I hear the name of that company, I immediately think of the salesman's story.
I tell you this because we each need to remember that any time our customers or prospects have a bad experience with our company, they don't forget it easily. We have to take a pro-active stand on customer service; if it's possible, contact customers after any sale or service and make sure they're satisfied. If they're not, find out why, and do everything you can to rectify it. I've had several companies that didn't get things right in the beginning, but their follow-up was so great and so pleasing that I'll continue to do business with them, because they care about how I feel about them.

No comments: