Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Looking for Between-Bike Communication system

Last year, Randy and I bought Midland handheld radios for our bikes - we use a system that puts earphones inside our open-face helmets, wires run to radio and to 'talk' button mounted on handlebars.
I know we've got them wired correctly because they work - sometimes. Mostly it turns out that I can hear him, but can't talk to him. We've swapped radios and it seems to be in the wiring on my system, but there are no breaks in the wiring, and everything's connected completely. Another problem is that even when the system works, I can't always hear clearly what he's saying. The headphones are sitting as close to my ears as possible, without getting in the way when I'm putting on the helmet, and the sound is turned up as loud as possible.
My true preference would be a piece actually in my ear, rather than outside it - but then I'd run into it getting pulled out when I put on my helmet.
I'd also prefer to be using my half helmet, but after a friend of ours hit a deer, I've been thinking more helmet is better...
I like the Midlands - we also use them off-bike as well so I'd like to keep them. Any suggestions on a system that will work?

No comments: