Saturday, May 9, 2009

About my Mom...

Someone twittered a request for memories of our moms; here are some of mine.
* When my youngest brother was about five, he did something to get in trouble, and Mama was going to spank him. He decided he could outrun her, so he started down the hall and into his room, which had slick wooden floors. He hit the floor and slid under his bed to get away - when he turned around, Mama was right there behind him. His eyes were big as saucers!
*The first time I was pregnant (1978), my mom found out before me- I had to go out of town for the day, so I took my little specimen cup to the doctor's office. I asked my mom to call for me to find out the results. Since she had to leave before I got home, and she wanted me to be the first to know, she cut a picture of a baby out of a magazine and put it in an envelope and left it for me.
*The day she held her first grandchild for the first time- my daughter Mary Beth - May 21, 1979. In September 2007, she held her first great-grandchild - Mary Beth's son Reid. My baby's baby...
*When I was pregnant with my youngest daughter, my husband and I didn't want to know whether she was a girl or boy but Mama did, so when we had the ultrasound done, the tech printed a picture and wrote "it's a girl!", sealed it in an envelope and we gave it to her. During all those months, she never let it slip to us what we were having. I know it had to be hard for her, but she did it!
I have a great Mom- she's made a lot of sacrifices for me and my brothers, and I think she and Daddy did a great job raising us - they taught us how to be honorable people. If we've failed in doing that it's through no fault of theirs.

1 comment:

Debi Sargent said...

guess your brother found out the hard way,can't out run Mothers! Sure wish my mother had been there when I had my first child, she had died just within the year of the birth. Now I am a grandma and see my mom in them. Loved this post!