Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My 'new' camera

I love my 'new'camera- I bought a Canon Rebel XT from someone who was upgrading, and I've really enjoyed it. There were several things I've had to learn, to get the best photos out of it, but as I tell my friend Toni - "Google is our friend"...
I've found several good pages that show how to figure out which settings to use in different pictures: shade, night shots, football games, inside, etc... I hate having such a nice camera and not be able to get good pictures other than the automatic settings. Here's one page I found that has several good charts to help you learn how to be the 'ultimate exposure computer'. I've been taking pictures for a lot longer than I care to admit, but I'd never bothered to learn how the f-stop, shutter speed and ISO all work together. On my original 35mm camera, after I set the film speed, I knew how to adjust for different shots, but putting the film speed into the mix with this totally manually set camera seemed to throw a kink in my thinking. Anyway, I've printed out the charts, laminated them and have them in my bag's pocket, so I can check them for better starting places.
I'm confident that my pictures will improve, and I'll have to do a lot less post-camera work on them.

No comments: